Friday, October 11, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust {Gluten-Free}



Since going gluten-free for these past 30 days, I really started getting used to the taste of cauliflower and almond flour.  If you would have asked me a year ago if I would be okay without breads and pastas, I'd tell you no!!  But I've come to realize that you really can eat deliciously while watching your health!

The Whole30 definitely opened my eyes to the fact that we EAT TO LIVE, not live to eat.  I have rid myself of that habit, but also found that gluten does not agree with my stomach.  I am not going into detail about THAT part, but just finding that out has made up my mind about going gluten-free 80% of the time.  Meaning, when I cook at home I am going to cook gluten-free; however, if this girl is feeling like having regular pizza or a bagel for her "cheat meal" then she's gonna have one.  Although I am committing to cooking this way, it does not mean that I am forever banishing gluten, I just need to figure out which foods are worth getting an upset stomach over (and pizza is one of them) and just keep those cheat meals to a minimum.


This isn't the first time I have made cauliflower pizza crust, in fact I got my parents HOOKED on it.  But this recipe is different because it doesn't contain cheese.  I couldn't have cheese on the Whole30 so I had to find a new recipe.  So if you are gluten-free and dairy free people than this recipe is just for YOU!


Cauliflower Pizza Crust {Gluten- Free}
Original recipe here.

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium head of cauliflower (should yield 3 cups riced)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp almond flour
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • Parchment paper
  • Oil or nonstick cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place pizza stone or cooking sheet (whichever you are using) in oven to warm up. Get out a piece of parchment paper and spray with nonstick spay or olive oil

Cut up cauliflower into smaller pieces and place in a food processor.  If you don't have a food processor you can just use a cheese grater.  Once, all grated place cauliflower in microwavable bowl and cook in microwave for 4 minutes.  Let the cauliflower cool.  

Once cooled, place cauliflower in a towel and ring out excess water.  You are going to want to ring out as much water as possible, this will make the crust crispier.  Once done, place cauliflower in bowl and mix with the rest of ingredients.  This is best done with your hands.  Yes, get your hands dirty.

Once all mixed, use your hands to form a crust on the parchment paper.  Do not make it too thin or too thick.  Pat it thoroughly and make sure it is tightly formed together.

Place in over for 12 minutes.  Take out and top with your favorite toppings.  Then place pizza bake in oven to warm up toppings.  I suggest cooking all your topping before placing on pizza.  

Take out and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment