Monday, September 30, 2013

Homemade Mayonnaise

I know there are a lot of people who HATE mayonnaise (ahem Julia ahem), but this post is for you MAYO lovers!!

For some reason, the idea of making homemade Mayo made me really excited!  I don't know anyone who has made it before, so naturally I feel really cool being the only one I know who has made it from scratch.  On diets, Mayo has always been restricted for me, but in fact it's not all that bad for you.  And making it from scratch provides essential fats and some protein.

The other best part about making Mayo homemade is that it doesn't contain any preservatives or chemicals!  It's all clean ingredients most likely to be found in your kitchen.  Not to mention it taste so much more fresh!

Now, I can't hog ALLLL the coolness to myself, so here is the recipe. Drum roll pleaaaseee....


Mayonnaise
Original post from here.

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 cup light olive oil (not Extra Virgin)

Directions:
  • Place the egg and lemon juice in blender or food processor.  Let them come to room temperature together (I had my egg sitting on the counter for 4 hours before I did this step).  Let them sit for about 20-30 minutes.
  • Add dry mustard, salt and 1/4 cup olive oil.  Blend until mixed well.
  • MOST IMPORTANT STEP:  I repeat, this step is essential to the right consistency of your mayo.  Pour the remaining 1 cup of olive oil VERY SLOWLY into the blender while its on.  It must be the tiniest drizzle and should take about 3 minutes to pour the entirety into the blender.
  • Once all blended, place in a jar and let it cool in the fridge for a while.

Note, the expiration date of your Mayo is the same expiration date of your eggs.  So use the freshest eggs possible.  Enjoy and feel cool :)



No comments:

Post a Comment