Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers


Doesn't the name alone just get your mouth watering? It did for me when I found this recipe! But then again I am a sucker for any recipe that starts with "southwest." This recipe is EASY, clean, flavorful and above all else...YUMMY!

I found this delicious recipe from Simply Love Food. You should really check her out, she has some great food ideas! The first time I made these peppers I followed her directions and ingredients to a "T"; however, this time I changed it just a little bit to suit my taste buds. 

Ingredients: 

  • Olive oil
  • 1 lb lean ground Turkey
  • 1 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 1 packet of Lawry's Taco seasoning
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 6 red bell peppers (you can use any color), halved and seeds removed
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup frozen corn
  • 1 (15oz) jar of salsa
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.

*Note: make sure you cook the ground turkey ahead of time to ensure its cooked all the way through. I sauteed my onions with the turkey.*

In a bowl combine cooked ground turkey, chopped onions, brown rice, frozen corn, black beans, taco seasoning and salsa. Mix well.


Place halved bell peppers in pan. Carefully spoon the turkey mixture into each half of the bell peppers. Cook peppers for 20 minutes. Before removing from the oven, sprinkle the tops of each pepper with the shredded cheese.  Place back in oven until the cheese has melted. 


Remove from oven and top with cilantro, avocado and/or non-fat Plain Greek yogurt (TRUST me...tastes exactly like sour cream, but its HEALTHY for you. Go on, just try it) before serving.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do. They make a great dinner and even better left overs!!



No comments:

Post a Comment