Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Roasted Hazelnuts

Happy Wednesday!

This post is two days late because I have been on vacation!

I was in San Diego this weekend because one of my very good friends got married, and I was very lucky to have been apart of her special day!


Congrats my beautiful friend!!

Along with being busy with wedding stuff, I had to take a stroll on the beach....man do I miss the water! I really need to find my "beach" here in Colorado or anywhere else I move.  The beach just has a calming effect on me..makes me feel at home.


So in summary, here is what my weekend entailed:


I am not writing this blog post to brag about my mini vacation at home, it is to share a recipe!!

Better late than never right??

Today's (or what should have been Monday's) recipe is Roasted Hazelnuts.  I had the grand idea last week to use up everything in my fridge and cupboards before going grocery shopping, and lets just say I lasted only one week.

But in my mini- challenge I had to be creative. I didn't have any snacks beyond my huge bag of raw hazelnuts.  I got a good deal on the bag at Trader Joes, and I honestly thought I'd love them!  I love anything hazelnut flavored and I love raw almonds.  So what would be better than combining the two?

Raw hazelnuts are gross.

But trying to eat what I had on hand, I looked for recipes involving Hazelnuts.  And of course, I found the answer on Pinterest.

These had a sweet and slight spicy taste! I munched on them with ease.  Roasted hazelnuts are definitely the way to go.  Raw hazelnuts do not have the crunch that roasted ones do and I feel like the roasting really brings out the flavor in the nuts.

Roasted Hazelnuts


Ingredients:
- 2 cups shelled Hazelnuts
- 2 TBSP real maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp of each: coriander, cumin, ginger, and smoked paprika
- salt to taste

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Roast for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat, but leave oven on
- While nuts are roasting, combine all remaining ingredients together in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until simmering.  Remove from heat.
- Pour roasted nuts into saucepan and coat with maple syrup mixture, be sure to coat all nuts.
- Return back to baking sheet and sprinkle more salt and return to oven.
- Bake for another 4-5 minutes
- Remove and let nuts cool completely, as they will be very hot.
- Serve at room temperature and store in airtight container for 1-2 weeks.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment