Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fajita Night!


So I recently joined a Clean Eating Challenge with one of my fellow coaches because the one thing that really holds me back from seeing true results is my eating.... It's a horrible thing when you LOVE to eat!! So the challenge is basically about removing any processed food from our diet.  Last week didn't go over so well, but I planned ahead for this week!! 


I can eat the same thing over and over for the most part- example, I drink Shakeology every morning and make is exactly the same way. But with my dinners I like to mix it up. I like to play around with recipes and try to make them healthier- hence my obsession with skinnytaste.com.

This recipe actually came from the one blog that opened my eyes to cooking.  Katie Goodman is an AMAZING cook and every recipe that I have tried from her blog has been stellar! Definitely go check her out at www.goodlifeeats.com.  Now to the fun part- FAJITAS!! I basically just took Katie's marinade for the steak, because with fajitas you can basically fill them with anything.

Flank Steak Fajita Marinade (goodLifeeats)



Ingredients:

- juice 2 limes
- juice 1 orange
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Combine all those ingredients in a food processor until smooth.  Pour over flank steak in a gallon sized ziplock bag or in a baking pan.  Let marinade for 24 hours. Grill over medium high heat and let stand before slicing.  NOTE- we tenderized the meat before marinading and as a result the meat was very tender, juicy and flavorful!!

And the fillings....


You can really put anything in your fajitas.  As for me, I sautéed the bell peppers and onions together, made some homemade guacamole and substituted the sour cream for non-fat greek yogurt (you CANNOT even taste the difference, plus its actually good for you!) and off course added some salsa.

Heat corn tortillas over flame and fill to your heart's desire!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment